Sunday, February 10, 2013

Titlescreen Project: First concept.

From my previous research it dawned on me that Sci-Fi came from humanities inquisitiveness of the unknown. The main areas that caused the most speculation were areas that lacked comprehension and that sparked the human imagination. So these areas included; the oceans (what laid beneath), the sky (what it was like to fly), what was beneath the land, and finally space (not necessarily in this order).   From this it seemed logical to apply this to how the titlescreen could flow. Below is a basic(poor) flow diagram to show an example to how it could flow. (I thought it might help describe my idea to the rest of the group.)

As a style guide I really liked the look of sketchy diagrams (such as Leonardo concept sketches) and scenes that were matte painted in a first edition style. So I did a rough animation with a couple of cogs on a old parchment background (shown below). I should of also included a background. For each scene I wanted to start with a concept drawing gradually fading into a more detailed scene  with colour and texture like it was in a book. This would simultaneously happen with a gradual camera movement  through the scene with animated elements like machinery, smoke and other subtle animations.
The white represented the texture fading in.

After describing my idea to one of my illustrator friends she was keen to help with the creation of assets. She drew a winged windmill floating city which i quickly made into a rough animation.
Her work can be found here.
http://www.illustrationjester.com/




I also played around with some smoke effects within Maya, as smoke would be essential especially for airships and cities.


Was just an idea anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment